Thursday, April 15, 2010

how to play hulusi and bawu, lesson 2 -------make the sound

to make sound you must blow air into the blow hole
hulusi and bawu are reed style instrument, not edge style flute (like silver flute,irish whistle, japanese shakuhachi and etc). the range is only over one octave, it need some pressure to work, but it is contrary as edge style, when we play low part, we must give more pressure to it. and in high part, we just blow gently. if you are woodwind player or hulusi beginner, you must pratice to be used to it.
so the note that close all holes, need most pressure, if the pressure is not enough, the pitch will be high.
and most pressure for the highest note(open all), it maybe break the reed, no sound.
don't blow hulusi fiercely anytime, it will break reed. that is why some hulusi player don't like other people(first time to play or not learned hulusi) to play his hulusi.

7 comments:

  1. Hello, I recently received a hulusi I ordered in the mail and I'm having trouble playing it. The finger holes aren't changing the pitch. They aren't doing anything. However, I can play the lowest note (all holes covered) and the highest note (no holes covered). Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have probably figured it out by now because you posted your question a while ago, but For others who may stumble upon this post...

      I had the same issue when I first got my hulusi. I soon realized that I was not blowing hard enough. When your blowing hard enough there is a fair amount of resistance.

      I had been used to Native American flutes etc. It is very different.

      Delete
    2. I've read a lot of comments saying you have to blow hard to get a pitch. Actually, you have to blow hard as hell to get a pitch.
      Then you read comment saying if you blow too hard you might twist or break the instrument. Well you have to blow hard to get a pitch but blowing hard breaks the instrument. So, how are you supposed to play???
      I managed to make the three upper pitches (only left fingers on the holes), but I don't understand how I have to blow to make it work. And then I read somewhere: you have to blow harder for lower pitches. Wait, what? Then why is everybody talking about how they can only make a pitch with all fingers down a hole??????
      I'll tell you what is blown at the moment: my mind!!!

      Delete
  2. Hello. I recently ordered a hulusi online and it does not have a plug in the drone pipe to play a chord. How do I play the chord?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having the same problem. Both drone pipes doesn't have a hole. They just don't sound no matter what I do.

    ReplyDelete

Followers